The Party Post | TNGOP
Speaker Harwell Looks to 2014 Legislative Session
Last week, Speaker Beth Harwell sat down with Bob Mueller from WKRN-TV Nashville to discuss the outlook for the upcoming 2014 General Assembly.
You can view the entire segment by clicking here.
To highlight a few points the Speaker made:
- Some of the top issues will be maintaining a balanced budget in a sluggish economy and continuing to fully fund education in Tennessee.
- She mentioned Tennessee’s ranking as one of the lowest debt states in the nation.
- Speaker Harwell talks about Republicans cutting taxes this year and last year.
- And she talks about the difficulties in Washington affecting Tennessee, particularly with ObamaCare hurting the economy.
Obama Awarded Lie of the Year
Speaking of ObamaCare: On Thursday, PolitiFact declared “If you like your health care plan, you can keep it” the lie of the year. The refrain repeated by President Obama and Democrats has been proven false now that over 5 million Americans have received cancellation notices.
ObamaCare was sold on a deliberate lie. This lie will haunt Democrats in the 2014 elections. Republicans said from the beginning ObamaCare would force Americans off their plans. Democrats knew it was true, but they repeated their lie anyway. ObamaCare would never have passed if they had told the truth. Sadly, the President tried to explain away his false claim and ended up telling an even bigger whopper.
That’s Not The Only ObamaCare Lie
Other Democrat claims have been proven false. Individual plans on Healthcare.gov are actually more expensive for many. Families are paying MORE for healthcare under ObamaCare. And even if you like your doctor, you may not be able to keep it as insurance providers shrink their networks because of ObamaCare.
- For example, an architect of ObamaCare tried to help by explaining, “You can probably keep your doctor, if you’re willing to pay a lot more.” Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel – who is also the brother of former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel – said this in an attempt to quell concerns about ObamaCare. It didn’t help.
- This report from Politico explains the problems with ObamaCare go beyond the website. In fact, it’s causing premiums to rise for some consumers—meaning another Obama promise is falling by the wayside.
- And now we learn, when people do actually get through the website, their information isn’t being recorded for insurance purposes.
Think Obama is Trustworthy? Think Again.
The NRCC has a great recap of a startling story about the moves the Obama Administration undertook to ensure President Obama was re-elected last year. From the story:
- A troubling new report from the Washington Post, released this weekend, found that President Obama’s White House “systematically delayed enacting a series of rules on the environment, worker safety and health care to prevent them from becoming points of contention before the 2012 election.”
- Translation: President Obama deliberately deceived the American people about his real agenda in order to secure his re-election last year.
- This new report marks a long fall from grace from a White House that promised to be the most transparent in history.
65 percent: Americans disapprove of Obama’s management of the federal government. (AP-GfK 12/9)
61 percent: Millennials disapprove of Obama’s handling of the economy. (Harvard University 12/5)
57 percent: Disapprove of the job Obama is doing on the economy. (RCP Average 12/11)
54 percent: Americans who believe Obama is facing a long term setback. (NBC 12/11)
53 percent: Obama’s Disapproval Rating (RCP Average 12/11)
52 percent: Americans who want to scale back or repeal ObamaCare, up from 50% in October. (Gallup 12/6)
52 percent: Americans who have an unfavorable view of Obama. (McClatchy-Marist 12/9)
52 percent: Obama’s approval among Hispanics, down 23 percent in the last year. (Gallup 12/5)
52 percent: Millennials who would favor throwing Obama out of office. (Harvard University 12/5)